A-League Review: End of the line for Brisbane manager

Posted on Nov 24 2014 - 9:15am by Simon Wilderspin

Simon Wilderspin takes a look at the weekend action in the A-League, which saw Mike Mulvey sacked as manager of Brisbane Roar.

Melbourne Victory 1-0 Brisbane Roar

Brisbane failed to make it consecutive wins as the Victory edged a tight encounter at Etihad Stadium, which proved the end of the road for Roar manager Mike Mulvey.

The visitors had battled hard but their efforts counted for nothing when the unfortunate Jade North unwittingly guided the ball into his own net.

It was enough to ensure the Melbourne side remain unbeaten so far this season whereas last years champions Brisbane, who suffered their fifth defeat in six games, said goodbye to manager Mike Mulvey.

Melbourne City 1-2 Sydney FC

Marc Janko’s brace ensured Sydney returned from AAMI Park with all three points, ending City’s recent improved run of form.

Janko had nodded the Sky Blues into a half time lead before an awful pass from Rob Wielaert’s put him in for his second of the game seven minutes from time.

A late Erik Paaralu header gave the home side some hope as well as ending Sydney’s impressive clean sheet record that stood at four games.

But City were unable to find a dramatic equaliser despite the visitors going down to ten men with the late dismissal of Milos Dimirijevic for picking up his second booking of the match.

Perth Glory 2-1 Wellington Phoenix

Perth Glory remain top of the Hyundai A-League after seeing off a spirited Wellington side who almost left nib Stadium with a point.

The Glory looked in control when Daniel De Silva opened the scoring after just two minutes before Irishman Andy Keogh doubled his sides lead with his fifth league goal of the season.

But moments later the Phoenix had their catalyst for a comeback when Ruben Zadkovich was sent off for a dangerous tackle on Vince Lia.

The comeback seemed a possibility when Roy Krishna converted from the spot following a foul on Tyler Boyd from Glory’s Josh Risdon but Wellington were unable to find an equaliser.

Western Sydney Wanderers 1-1 Newcastle Jets

Two teams out of form met at Pirtek Stadium and both teams failed to find the quality to earn the three points.

WSW got off to a great start when Tomi Juric crashed a 12th minute volley into the back of the net to give the majority of the 15,000 crowd something to cheer.

But the Jets, who were still wounded by their heavy defeat to Brisbane Roar last week were keen to put things right and Marco Flores’ classy volleyed equaliser was enough to earn them a hard earned point.

Central Coast Mariners 0-2 Adelaide United

Adelaide kept the pressure on league leaders Perth with a convincing win at the Central coast Stadium.

A quick fire first half brace from Pablo Sanchez was enough for United to claim all three points against a Mariners side who looked unable to repeat the comeback heroics they showed last weekend against Melbourne City.

Michael Neill thought he was upheld illegally when Fabio Ferreira’s tackle stopped him in his tracks, only for the referee to award a corner.

Moments later, Sanchez got the first of his quick fire double and with Mariners Nick Montgomery shown a second yellow card with 20 minutes to left to play, Adelaide saw the game out with relative ease.