Italians unlikely to chase Spurs target

Posted on Jun 11 2014 - 11:35am by Staff Writer

AC Milan v Cagliari Calcio - Serie A

Sampdoria have revealed they are not likely to bid for AC Milan striker Alessandro Matri, who is being tracked by Tottenham Hotspur and Everton.

Director Ariedo Braida told Tutto Mercato Web his club will probably not attempt to sign the forward, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Fiorentina.

He said: “I do not think Matri will play in Sampdoria next year.”

The latest development represents good news for the 29-year-old’s Premier League suitors, and sources close to White Hart Lane and Goodison Park told Football Express News they continue to monitor the situation.

Spurs are keen to add at least one striker to their squad before next season, having so far failed to replace England international Jermain Defoe, who was sold to MLS side Toronto FC in February.

The Toffees are short in the final third of the pitch after seeing last term’s loanees, Romelu Lukaku and Lacina Traore, return to parent clubs Chelsea and Monaco respectively.

Matri notched six goals in 19 appearances after joining the Viola on loan at the start of the year, including a brace on his debut against Catania.

He has three years remaining on his contract at the San Siro, where Filippo Inzaghi has succeeded Clarence Seedorf as head coach.