Newcastle United have completed the signing of defender Amar Dedic from Benfica for approximately £30 million on a five-year contract.

    The deal was announced on Tuesday, which also happened to be the 24th birthday of the Austrian full-back.

    Dedic underwent his medical on Tyneside on Monday before the transfer was formally confirmed the following morning.

    The move represents a reunion between Dedic and Newcastle head coach Matthias Jaissle, who previously worked together at Red Bull Salzburg, winning the Austrian title in 2023.

    “It’s a special feeling and a really big honour for me to join Newcastle United,” Dedic said after the move was confirmed.

    “Working with Matthias again was a big factor for me. We know each other well. He knows what I can bring on the pitch and I’m really happy to be playing for him again.”

    “Playing Premier League football at St James’ Park is going to be really special. Every game feels like a big occasion, with an amazing atmosphere. I’m really excited to get started.”

    Newcastle had been actively seeking a new right-back since veteran Kieran Trippier departed for Wolves on a free transfer when his contract expired earlier this summer.

    The arrival of Dedic becomes even more timely given that Tino Livramento remains sidelined with a calf injury sustained on England duty in June.

    Livramento’s absence means Dedic could be thrust straight into action when Newcastle host Liverpool in their Premier League season opener this Sunday.

    Jaissle said he was “really looking forward” to working with the defender again, adding that Dedic “will bring both defensive and attacking qualities to our squad, which suits the style of football that we want to play.”

    “He’s athletic, aggressive and technically very good, but also has a lot of potential to develop further,” the Newcastle head coach continued.

    Dedic has previous experience of St James’ Park, having been part of the Benfica side beaten 3-0 by Newcastle in the Champions League last season.

    Despite never having played in the Premier League, Dedic ranked second among full-backs in Portugal’s Primeira Liga last season for carries into the attacking third, with 49.

    He also ranked third among full-backs for progressive carries with 202 and total carries with 325, underlining his ability to contribute dynamically from deep positions.

    Newcastle sporting director Ross Wilson has already noted that Dedic is “incredibly hungry” to prove himself at the highest level.

    Dedic is only the second Newcastle signing this summer over the age of 20, alongside goalkeeper Lukas Hornicek, as the club continues its policy of recruiting young talent.

    His versatility to cover at left-back will offer Jaissle additional options, though Newcastle are expected to pursue further reinforcements before the transfer window closes on 1 September.

    Share.

    Rowan Clarke is a lifelong Arsenal fan and seasoned football reporter, covering news across the Premier League and Serie A. Rowan brings readers match analysis, transfer updates, and insider insights from the heart of European football.